Socialised medicine and light bulbs
It's the first of September. This morning I got a letter from the orthoapedic clinic at the university hospital. It said that I would be called in in a matter of three months - maybe! If the waiting goes over three months I will then be sent to some clinic otherwere (fairs and hotel room paid for by the taxpayers). So now I sit here -in limbo- with a shattered scapula and a broken collar bone with little or no use of my left arm. SIGH!
An alternative is to go abroad, to Germany or the Baltic states. There there are private clinics who can treat you emidiatley all paid for by the Swedish taxpayers!
That's socialised medicare for you!
At this day the old lightbulb is forbidden. the funny (not really) thing is that EU has imposed high import taxes of low- energy lamps to protect the domestic makers like Osram. So the low- energy lamps have been to expensive to buy and people have chosen the warm glare of the old lightbulbs instead.
"But they are not energy effective"- says the defenders of the "flickers". Well that depends on how you look at it really. Shure, only 30% of the energy emitts light. But you have to ask yourself, "Where does the other 70% go?"
The answer is simple- HEAT! So when you use the old lightbulbs you don't need to heat up your house by the same amount of energy! There you go...
An other funny thing is that the protection tax laws for companies like Osram and Philips actually does not protect these companies at all. Because all their manufacturing are made in China... All it means is that is going to be much more expensive for the consumer
And then there is the problem with the mercury. You are not allowed to toss worn out low energy lamps with the household trash. You have to go to a special waist station. The nerest one I got here is 7 Km away. And I don't own a car. Because echonomlicly it would be idioticy where I live right now, and remember- energy=money and money/energy= pollution.